Skip to main content

Week 1! The first week in the MTC.

      Hey everyone! The MTC is going great and I actually really like it here! But the days here are jam packed with classes from the time we wake up to the time we go to bed. And I look back and it all feels like one continuous day. 
      
    My companion is Elder Gammon and he got called to be our district leader so now I sit in the hallways by myself whenever he has meetings.I room with another companionship, Elders Madsen and Harrison. I am the only missionary in the MTC going to Zimbabwe and the other 3 in my room are going to Zambia, there is one guy in my district going to Botswana and the rest of my district are going to Australia. Also there are two stray cats that live on campus and nobody gets rid of them so we named them sister mittens and Mormon and they get in fights all the time. 


Andrew's companion and other companionship. (Elder Williams, Elder Gammon, Elder Harrison and Elder Madsen).



     Wednesday: I got dropped off and said goodbye to my family but right when I got to the top of campus Elder Bills (Isaac) nearly tackled me to say hi. But I dropped my stuff off and went right to class. But that night I found out I am living in less of an MTC dorm room and more of a college dorm room. There was a wrestling match going on outside our room, some guys were playing party games that you can do here. and outside some guys were climbing in the trees and I can't forget the guy who walked around into our room with nothing on but a zebra print, speedo style underwear, after his showered, I literally cannot forget that... it is awful.
Andrew's room while he is in the MTC. 


    Thursday: classes as usual but that night in the dorm room we did the new Elder initiation which is called the Shaman Ramen and you have to eat a little bit of spicy Ramen that the Elders from Japan two floors up gave our district 2 weeks ago. but needless to say it was extremely weird. 


    Friday: We got to have exercise for the first time today so we did a companion exchange and me and Elder Madsen ran a mile and did a little workout after that. we have done that everyday now because he is the only other one willing to run a mile. We also got a new person to teach and it is weird because I know he is already a member of the church but I have to teach him like he is a child anyways. That is the weird thing about all this is they are all really good actors but I know they are all actually teachers here at the MTC, but not all the other missionaries figured that out so it is kinda awkward when my companion wants to go say goodbye to our "person seeking the gospel" just to see them teaching a class the next day.


   Saturday: There was the homecoming day parade for BYU and it was right outside our window so we got to watch that and it was funny to see the parade turn to the empty side of the street, look up to the 5th floor, and wave at us. 


   Sunday: we watched a devotional by David A. Bednar and it was really,really amazing. It helped me to see how much I really do need to grow and how unchristlike I actually am. Also I joined the MTC choir and that is really fun and it is a devotional of sorts more then a choir practice and there are about 1000 missionaries in the choir. 

   Monday: It was just a normal day and I finalized all my visa stuff with the MTC. We taught another fake investigator and got another one to teach so now we have 3.


 Today: We got to go to the Temple and do a session today. and after the session we got to help fold temple clothes in the laundry room with some Latino temple workers and one spoke very broken English but would not stop talking to us. So hopefully the people in Africa sound a little more clear then she did so I can understand at least half of what they say. 
Elder Williams doing his laundry on P-day. 




Once again the MTC is great! You can feel the spirit everyday here! and so far it has been fun! 


Well here is a scripture to study for the week (SOTW thanks justin) D and C 31. It talks all about missionary work and how it is a great blessing in your life and how it can help so many people.



I will try to send some pictures but if it doesn't work then I will do that next week. Have a great week!



I forgot to tell y’all I got an I pad for the Mtc stay, and I miss Halloween completely this year because I leave on the 30th and arrive in Zim on the 1st.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 10. Soccer Payoff.

This week was good.  One cool thing about this week was my area has been struggling compared to the rest of the district. But I realized why. I have been thinking that baptism is a huge deal, which it is, but I have been waiting for people to be more committed before I extend a date. This week I realized how will they desire to be committed if they don't have a day to work for. So, I started offering dates and now we have 4 people on date and lots more committed to baptism.  Another thing is that as a district every Monday (Pday) we go to the church and play soccer and now I can say that all those years of playing with the Mexicans is paying off for helping me to beat the Africans. They are small friendly games, but we invite everyone to come and play and I have a fan section because nobody has seen a Kiwa play.  We did a service project on an illegal farm on Saturday so that was fun. Also they were impressed that a marungu could plow faster than them, I don&#

Week 17. The Spirit of God.

Week 17 January 28 th , 2019 Well the first week of t new transfer has begun. This week was normal, we worked in Pangoline which is that area around the chapel, we have a baptism this week. I don’t really know what else happened. This week seemed so much less interesting compared to last week. But we did go to Bulawayo for Zone Conference, in a combey, in a day, so it may not seem interesting but a combey ride for eight or more hours is always interesting. One cool thing that happened this week was yesterday the senior couple missionaries Elder and Sister Smith came to town, so we had church and it was normal, but after we went to the house of this person the Zone Leaders are teaching, we took the entire zone (all 8 of us) and the Senior missionaries to this mans house. His name is Shepard and he is paralyzed from the waist down. He said he really wanted to come to church but because of his circumstance he can’t. So, all of us took church to him. We sang hymns and share

Week 2. Angels among us.

Hey everyone! It was another great week here at the MTC and now I only have a few days left, I fly out on Monday at 4:45 in the morning and get there a long time later.   The Red Sea in the MTC.  Elder Williams and a fellow Elder friend. Well I will start with the most interesting highlight of the week. I found an angel. Me and Elder Gammon went to the 6th floor study area to study one day and we met a teacher named sister Orr. She was really nice and taught us some journaling stuff, a fun restoration game to play, and how to say: welcome to the MTC, Welcome to the empty sea, and Jesus Christ loves you, all in sign language. She teaches sign language here and she was nice. But the thing is Elder Gammon wanted to meet her again, so we started asking all the White tags(teachers) and info desks where she is but nobody knows her. We asked at least 50 workers that day and not a single one of them has ever heard of her. So Elder Gammon is positive that she is an angel and jus